For some of us, turmeric is just another spice or condiment added to give curry its flavor. For me, it is a must-have skin food. Existing for ages, turmeric has been noted to have a lot of benefits and it is used in ancient medicine. Known for its anti-inflammatory property, turmeric is being used for treating arthritis, heartburn and pain.
In this post, I am going to provide info on how I use turmeric as a facial mask.
Because of its anti inflammatory effects, turmeric mask can help fight acne, eczema, rosacea and dark circles. Some dark circles were caused by disrupted blood vessels under the eye. Turmeric constricts blood vessels, reducing inflammation and redness.
Curcumin is the responsible chemical which gives turmeric its yellow color. It is also an antioxidant agent that helps fight free radical in our body. It is more potent than other antioxidants like vitamins C and E. Antioxidants prevent skin aging and formation of wrinkles. Leaving you with younger looking skin.
Turmeric can leave a yellow stain. Be sure to wear clothes that you no longer need. You can also use a salon cape to protect your clothes in case the mask drips. You should also do this if you don’t have plans going out the following day. It can stain your face, which lasts for 2 days. In my case, it doesn’t stain at all.
How to make turmeric mask?
In making the mask, you need the following ingredients:
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- As discussed earlier, it contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- 1 tsp Yogurt
- The same with turmeric, it has anti-inflammatory properties as well as antioxidants. It minimizes acne, wrinkles and pigmentation.
- It also acts as a moisturizer.
- 1 tsp Organic Honey
- It has anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties so it is helpful to broken skin. It also prevents breakout-causing bacteria from accumulating in your skin.
- Honey has pore-cleansing enzymes.
- Get a container and mix the ingredients together. If you want to brighten your skin, you can add a natural bleach such as lemon juice. I sometimes add olive oil to the mixture because it contains a lot of antioxidants.
2. Make sure that you get a paste that will stick to your face. Make sure that everything is mixed well and evenly. You don’t want to see some white stuff and yellow powder when applying it.
Prep your skin!
Now, you want the mask to be as effective as possible. You need to make sure that you apply it to a clean face. Wash your face first with warm water. Warmth can dilate your blood vessels, which then facilitates faster absorption of the mask’s nutrients.
After you have cleansed your face, get a facial spatula or a facial brush and evenly apply the mixture on your face. Be sure not to miss the spot under your eyes since you also want to get rid of dark circles. Be careful not to apply too much because it may drip and leave yellow stains.
Wait 20 mins or until it dries on your face. After, you can go ahead and rinse with tap water.
Now you can enjoy a soft, smooth and less inflamed face! 😀
Have you tried turmeric mask? Do you also have other natural, DIY mask that you can recommend? Let me know by leaving your comments! 🙂